Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2 favorite fairy tales

As this title came up, I knew it was going to be exciting for us to work on this post. So after all the discussion my group and I made together, we all agreed on choosing Mulan and The Little Mermaid. I would be representing my group on elaborating why these two are our favorite fairy tales. Obviously, Mulan and The Little Mermaid are the fairy tales that everyone mostly know of. I practically grew up watching these fairy tales throughout my younger years! Disney helped me so much in getting to know more about fairy tales movies and cartoons. It was the only channel I would look forward to.

The Little Mermaid attracted me firstly when I saw Ariel, the heroin. She was a sweet girl who was loved by everyone. Her gorgeous red hair caught my attention and up until now I have always wondered how it would look like if I were to have a red hair. Even worse, in my younger years I used to force my mother to dye my hair the same color as hers, as I was too young to even know about anything, of course I had been responded with a rejection. Now I know understand why!

Secondly, I admire her great desire in getting what she thought she really wanted by ignoring her father, King Triton, who warned her that the contact between merpeople (people who are in a shape of mermaid.) [Reference: Wikipedia] and humans was forbidden. Ariel was longing to join the human and become a human herself. Ariel was always surrounded by her best friends, the animals that belong to the sea, like her. There were Flounder the fish, Scuttle the seagull, who helped Ariel know more about knowledge of human culture and lastly, Sebastian, King Triton’s adviser. They were always around Ariel making her life in the sea cheerful yet Ariel’s thought would not disappear about what was there on land.

Last but not least, I have always been attracted on fairy tales’ love stories, including Ariel’s, she had fallen in love with Prince Eric which made her intention about joining the human world stronger. She had often come to the surface of the ocean just to stalk this handsome prince. How Eric was fascinated by Ariel’s voice when she sung to him after she rescued him made the story a whole lot more interesting. Ariel escaped quickly and Prince Eric had vowed to find who she was. On the other hand, Ariel made a vow to find a way to be with him.


Ariel had gone through a lot just to be with Prince Eric, she had to face her raging father who was upset with her behavior and also Ursula! The sea witch in form of a Cecalia (part human, part octupos.) [reference: Wikipedia]. Ariel’s love for Eric was too strong that she fell into Ursula’s trap. Yet in the end, having all the animals as her bestfriends at the ocean, a loving father who would do anything for his daughter, she was saved from Ursula’s evil plan. But another time she was captured by Ursula, Eric was the one to save her and realized she was the one he had been looking for. Knowing how both of them were so madly in love with each other, King Triton agreed to transform Ariel into a human. Ariel and Eric married on a ship and lived happily ever after!



Secondly, I am going to talk about Mulan, the most brave girl I know among all the fairy tales I had lived with when I was a young girl. One of the reasons why I love this was I admire her bravery. When her village was invaded by The Huns, the Chinese army required one man from each family to join them. Mulan was only child Fa Zhou, her elderly father, had. So when Mulan heard that her father was forced to join the army, she decided to stand in his place. Changing her appearance as a young man named “Ping”. What attracted me more was that during her army camp, she worked hard to become a skilled warrior for her family and country. Her father had prayed to his ancestors to order a protector for her daughter which was known as Mushu, who was in a form of a small dragon. A talkative and funny dragon whom Mulan could not put up with.

Her identity was revealed when she became unconscious after creating an avalanche and then she was left alone with Mushu at the mountain where they all had settled while the others departed to The Imperial City. Even after she was abandoned, she still attempted to warn the army about the trap The Huns had made. But they ignored her and she knew she was the only hope in rescuing her country and men. With the help of Mushu, Mulan succeed and then was praised by the Emperor and the people of China. The great part is that knowing she started off as a clueless girl who only intended to safe his elderly father and even throughout her whole challenging journey she had then managed to prove her father for her bravery. She came home happily and her father knew he was the luckiest and proudest man alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment